Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Harvesting Spring Onions


I have to admit that I don't quite remember planting onions last year.  These onions over wintered in the garden and with all the sun and rainfall, recently sent up their flower bulbs.  So they needed to be harvested, as advised by this book.  My youngest and I harvested dozens of onions--red, yellow and white.  Now, the task with be to preserve them in some fashion (those that we don't share with family and friends) as they do not keep in storage.

Onions drying on the chicken tractor.
What are your favorite ways to preserve your harvest?

2 comments:

  1. I just finished filling 9 trays of my dehydrator with strawberries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy abundance! I just picked a few from my garden. Some had already been tasted by a rabbit and those were then enjoyed by the chickens. I'm thinking of trying sage in my dehydrator--have you tried any herbs yet?

    ReplyDelete